Bicycle Accident Lawyers
Fighting for the rights of bicycle accident victims.
San Diego is a great place to ride bikes. Many people resort to bikes for fun and recreation, but when people get hurt on bikes due to someone’s negligence, they may need the help of a bicycle accident lawyer. The bicycle accident lawyers at San Diego Injury Law Center have a vast record in achieving significant outcomes for bicycle accident injuries.
Is San Diego a Safe Place to Ride Bicycles?
The sunny, warm weather of San Diego County invites a very active bicycling community, especially along the beach, where every weekend along the coast in Ocean Beach, Pacific Beach, Oceanside, Carlsbad, Encinitas, and elsewhere you will see hundreds of riders, from competitive looking road bike racers to novices filling local bike lanes. And while many of our San Diego roadways have designated bike lanes for riders, the dangers for cyclists is ever present.
While most bicycle accidents are solo accidents, the greatest fear for most bicycle riders is getting struck by an automobile or truck. Here in San Diego there are several cycling injuries and fatalities every year because of the sheer number of riders, and invariably a portion of those bicycle injury accidents involve automobiles. Indeed, United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates that each year more than 500,000 people are treated in emergency departments for bicycle-related injuries each year. More than 700 people die from these injuries.
The number of bicycle accidents in the United States is quite significant, according to sources such as the Pedestrian and Bicycle Information Center and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Tens of Thousands of people suffer severe injuries and even death, in bicycle accidents each year. Bicycle accidents happen for a number of avoidable reasons, but you may be eligible to receive monetary damages if you or a loved one has suffered an injury in a bicycle accident. Call our lawyers for a free case evaluation 619-338-8230.
Types of Bicycle Accidents
• Injuries and damages sustained due to road defects.
• Injuries and damages caused by bicycle equipment defects.
• Accidents between automobile and bicycles caused by negligence.
• Accidents between motorcycles and bicycles caused by negligence.
• Accidents between trucks and bicycles caused by negligence.
• Wrongful deaths involving cyclists.
A bicycle lane is a designated traffic lane for bicyclists. These lanes are marked by a solid white line which becomes a dotted line ending before it reaches the corner. Different from a simple white line showing the edge of the road, a bicycle lane follows specific width requirements and is clearly marked as a bike lane with symbols and/or signs. Bicycle lanes are sometimes painted a bright green color in order to increase visibility. Treat a bicycle lane painted bright green just like any other bicycle lane. Drivers of motorized bicycles should use bicycle lanes carefully to avoid collisions with bicyclists. If you or someone that you love has been involved in a bicycle accident, contact the lawyers at the San Diego Injury Law Center today. Our bicycle accident attorneys look forward to helping you.
Bicycle Accident Tips
- Do not drive in a bicycle lane unless you are preparing to make a right turn or park.
- Before merging into the bicycle lane, check to see there are no bicyclists.
- If you are passing bicycle traffic, pass with at least 3 feet between your vehicle and the bicyclist, when safe.
- When making a right turn, enter the bicycle lane no more than 200 feet before the corner or entrance.
- Do not drive in the bicycle lane at any other time.
- You may park in a bicycle lane if your vehicle does not block a bicyclist or there is not a sign posted.